Elite Paving Nashville
Regular Maintenance to Prevent Asphalt Cracks
High-quality asphalt driveways and parking lots provide home and business owners with many benefits. However, many individuals with these parking areas may not perform proper routine maintenance or may have hired somebody with weak paving skills. In this situation, the chance of serious cracks breaking out across the surface of the asphalt is a potent reality.
Therefore, homeowners or businesses concerned about this problem need to ensure that they hire only the most elite paving professionals that they can find. Just as importantly, they need to understand how these cracks occur in the first place so that they can diagnose the problem more effectively and help their pavement specialist get their job done right.
Cracks Occur for Many Reasons
Pavement typically cracks for a multitude of reasons, each of which can be devastating if left unfixed. These influences typically vary depending on many factors, such as the time of year or where a person lives. However, the most common causes of pavement cracks include the following factors:
- Excessive temperature changes throughout the year
- High pressure placed on a single point on the pavement surface
- Chemicals sprayed on the surface of the asphalt
- Poor maintenance techniques over the years
- Water and high moisture penetrating the asphalt surface
All of these issues make cracks in pavement a sadly common occurrence. Thankfully, the many types of breaks in the pavement surface can be easily treated by a professional who understands their cause. Just as importantly, high-quality paving can prevent this issue in a variety of ways, mostly by increasing the effectiveness of the various pavement treatment and installation methods.
Many Types of Cracks Can Occur
The strange thing about asphalt is that its many cracks vary quite wildly and occur for different reasons. Therefore, anyone who has an asphalt driveway or parking lot that is suffering from severe cracks needs to understand these problems and their many solutions:
- Raveling – The aggregate materials in pavement help hold it together and keep it from cracking apart. However, these parts may end up separating over time and causing many pockmarks and cracks across the surface. Thankfully, this problem can be quite easily fixed.
- Alligator Cracking – These types of cracks are named for the unique scaly texture that they create on the surface of the pavement. Typically, these occur when there is a weak base or sub-grade beneath the surface. If these weaknesses are widespread, alligator cracking may spread with them.
- Block Cracking – When your pavement cracks into large rectangles, you’re experiencing block cracking. This issue occurs when the pavement shrinks around the surface and through the block, which occurs when extreme temperatures expand and contract the asphalt.
- Potholes – Potholes will typically puncture the whole surface of the pavement and go all the way to the basement. These issues occur for a multitude of reasons, including excessive pressure or wear and tear damage on a single spot on the pavement.
- Rutting – When the surface of the pavement gets marked by wheel tracks, rutting cracks may occur. This problem typically happens if the layers of the pavement are moved due to excessive traffic. Often, this problem is related to poor pavement thickness and bad asphalt mixes.
- Slippage Cracks – These cracks have a trademark crescent shape that makes them easy to identify. Typically, they occur when new pavement slips over the top of the underlying layer. When these layers shift their position, there is a sudden lack of support and the pavement collapses.
- Linear Cracking – Linear cracks occur along the centerline of the pavement and can become very persistent is left unfixed. Typically, they occur if the joints near the centerline were weak or if the pavement suffered from excessive fatigue and wear.
- Depressions – Lastly, depressions in pavement typically occur when the paver wasn’t careful with the speed and accuracy of their application. These small depressions can collect water and cause damage to the pavement, which makes repairs an important process.
By fully understanding all of these cracks and why they can occur, you can estimate how serious your paving problem will be to fix. For example, potholes typically occur at random and require an inexpensive repair method. However, widespread alligator cracking may indicate a serious problem that requires only the best or most elite paving professionals around.
How Elite Paving Can Help
Individuals concerned about these types of cracks need to get their driveway repaired or replaced by an elite paving expert. These professionals will fully understand the type of damage that occurs in asphalt driveways and will work hard to ensure that it doesn’t spread. Just as importantly, they will work with the home or business owner to find maintenance solutions for these issues.
For example, they can set up a yearly sealcoating treatment that they apply to your driveway for you to ensure that it remains strong. Just as importantly, they can swing by once a year to see how your driveway or parking lot is handling weather and pressure damage. If they find any issues, they can then fix them before they become a more persistent and widespread concern.
Our Experts Are Waiting to Hear From You
By now, you have a pretty good understanding of the many types of cracks that can occur in an asphalt paving job. All of these cracks are problematic and compromise the structure and safety of the pavement. Just as problematically, they can cost a lot of money to repair if individuals don’t take the time to get them repaired before the problem becomes severe.
If you want the best paving that you can find in the area, please don’t hesitate to contact us at Mid-State Paving & Sealcoating right away to learn more. Our experts will identify the problems affecting your asphalt paving, figure out why they are occurring, and work hard to create a solution that works for your needs. With our help, you’ll get the high-quality driveway that you deserve.